Sunday, October 25, 2009

I-40 Rock Slide

The North Carolina Department of Transportation has just posted this special alert:

DUE TO A ROCK SLIDE, I-40 IS CLOSED IN BOTH DIRECTIONS AT MILE MARKER 3, NEAR THE TENNESSEE STATE LINE, WEST OF ASHEVILLE, IN HAYWOOD COUNTY .

Due to an earlier rock slide, both directions of I-40 are closed at mile marker 3, near the Tennessee State Line, in Haywood Co., West of Asheville. The road is not expected to reopen for several weeks.

Detour: Motorists traveling on I-40 West are advised to use I-240 West, to I-26 West out of Asheville, to Johnson City, TN, then take I-81 South back to I-40.

There's actually a better detour from Asheville to Gatlinburg that will not take as long. Continue west on I-40 to exit 27 (Waynesville). Exit here and follow the signs to Cherokee and the National Park. Go through the Park (south to north), following signs to Gatlinburg.

Based on past history, this rock slide will probably affect traffic all the way through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. We'll try to keep you posted here, or you can check out the NC DOT site at https://apps.dot.state.nc.us/TIMS/default.aspx.



No comments:

Post a Comment